S.A.F.E.Oceans

This site serves as the jumping off point for the new organization S.A.F.E.Oceans which stands for Student Action For the Environment. This site will have links to marine bio related news and also to satellite schools where the organization is also initiated.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Recap of meeting from 4/9/07


Hey everyone, I just wanted to recap what we talked about today in our meeting. First of all, we addressed our projects for Earth Day...We will be set up a the West Mall on April 18th throughout the day...shifts can be discussed later. We decided to showcase 3 different issues...we will have info. on bottom trawling, overfishing and pollution. It is up to everyone to pick an issue they want to work on and collaborate via the website how they want to present that issue. I will send out a final email Friday asking for final ideas for projects and we will meet next Monday to work on and complete our projects...please bring supplies and ideas. You will be reimbursed for any supplies you buy yourself...if you want, tell me what you need first and I can probably pick it up.
We next discussed our movie night...I will be booking the room tomorrow and we will start advertising for it and will discuss final details next Monday...expect it to be held on the last Monday of the month during our normal meeting time...might run over. Also, we discussed our field trip...looks like it will be held on Sat. May 5th and we will return early Sun. by 1pm. Finals start on the 9th...so be sure that this will not interfere with your studies. This is the only time we have to go, I will doublecheck with Ken this week to make sure that date is still good. I also mentioned to everyone that Dr. Carl Safina will be presenting a talk on campus on Fri. Apr. 27th @7pm in Wel. 2.224. Dr. Safina is a highly respected and well known marine conservationist...http://blueocean.org I understand there is a lot going on that evening; however, I highly recommend you see him if you have the chance...it is a rare treat to meet someone with his insight into marine issues. Also check out the UT site on him for details on the talk "Hot Science:Cool Talks":
That is about it...please comment on the site this week to let everyone know your ideas for the projects and we will meet next Monday...I am also showing an episode of Planet Earth while we work on our projects next week! :) Take care and I will see you guys later.~AMI

3 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger ami~ said…

    Hey everyone, I will bring the stuff for bottom trawling...I might try to pick up a small toy boat and make a trawling net...we shall see...if anything I will bring the mural and some literature from the Ocean Conservancy to hand out...along with markers, sharpies, and posterboard.
    --April

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll go ahead and bring scissors,glue, pencils, some coloring markers too. I'll see if I can get a small cardboard box for that "empty fish city idea" too. -Felipe

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can bring paint supplies and canvasses. - Staci and John

     

Post a Comment

<< Home