S.A.F.E.Oceans

This site serves as the jumping off point for the new organization S.A.F.E.Oceans which stands for Student Action For the Environment. This site will have links to marine bio related news and also to satellite schools where the organization is also initiated.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First Meeting and Event Coming Up!!

Hello Marine Bio Students! OceanS.A.F.E.'s first meeting will be held September 18, @ 6pm at the turtle pond (next to the Biology greenhouse and the FAC). We will be discussing the logistics of the group as well as planning upcoming events and volunteer projects for the group. We will also be discussing items of concern that need our attention (i.e. overfishing, pollution, sea animals in captivity, etc...) We will focus on one issue per month and devote our time and energy into bringing awareness to that issue as well as doing what it takes to help remedy the issues. Very similar to the marine science seminar, we will try to bring speakers to the group that can help to shed light on certain issues and let us know what we can do to help. I want to get a friend of mine from The Ocean Conservancy to do our first topic...which would be overfishing in the gulf. I want to also announce our FIRST EVENT! We are going to South Padre on Sept. 16 to participate in a 4 hour beach clean up. My self and some other people are leaving Fri. night and planning on coming back Sun. afternoon. Hotel for the weekend is $238.00. That includes a room on the beach with two queen beds. I suggest 4 people to a room which would make the cost of lodging $60.00 for the entire weekend. Obviously you would have to bring your own spending money. For those of you who do not have transportation, I can take two people in my car (first come, first serve). You can also carpool with each other. I am more than willing to take care of hotel arrangements for everyone, that would require a definite YES on your part that you're going. Otherwise I have to pay a cancellation fee and I don't want to do that. Details of the weekend are as follows: Sat. morning @ 9am meet at Travelodge hotel on the gulf side. We will start from there and do cleanup for 4 hours...afterwards we will have lunch at this great tiki restaurant on the beach. Then we can go surfing, body boarding, swimming, etc...There are also dolphin watches available as well as the Sea turtle rescue center located across the street from the hotel. If you want to go for sure, please send me an email confirming...remember I can take two in my car, basically the first two people who respond get the spots. I would love for everyone to be able to go...I think this is a great way to kick off our group and also a good way for us to get to know each other. Please send me an email: oceanadventurer@mail.utexas.edu
if you want to go. Otherwise, I will see the rest of you at the first meeting! Have a good week and remember to bookmark this website, so you can reference it easier. It will updated every other day with news about the org! ~AMI

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home